June 29, 2011

A Drift in the Sea

Sometimes things happen in the world and are highlighted on the Internet that are perhaps better ignored. And seeing that I am awash in a Zen like state of summer sun-drenched bliss, I know I really should let this one go, but I just can't.

How can you ignore something that shows a little girl in a video who is using a day of prayer to make sure that her father loves her? I don't have much to say on the topic, except that things must be in a bad way when a government official sponsors an event claiming that the very government he has sworn an oath to uphold is in such a state of crisis that only the hand of his god can save it. He claims that as an elected official he understand the limitations of government when it comes to spiritual matters, then goes on to make a list of problems: financial crises, natural disasters, terrorism, depression- in the face of which he is powerless.

His civic irresponsibility is not even the worst part of the video. The worst part is the barrage of people questioning why this is happening to them. Who is responsible? What can they do? Their answer? Not to study history and politics and economics or to organize within their communities, but to pray. We have a right-wing republican government official telling his base not to question the actions of the government he represents. 

Not sure what I expect to come of this post. I know I don't want it to turn into some kind of religious debate. I understand now that those go nowhere. I am just jaw dropped perplexed at how strange America seems to me these days. I know, I know this is not a true reflection of Americans or even Christians, but...I don't know.  See for yourself and tell me what you think.



Prayer might help some people come to peace with their spiritual issues; I can respect that, but social activism needs a bit more action and education. Go ahead call me a hypocrite. Who is to say that praying is any less effective than signing a Facebook petition?  Either way, seems to me we need a bit more action and organization.

Maybe you can salvage some kind of decent discussion from my ramblings. I just knew I couldn't let it go by without some comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment