February 25, 2016

Levity Inside

Tomorrow is our annual Hair for Hope day at school where students and teachers shave and/or cut their hair to raise awareness about cancer, raise money for a cancer clinic in India, and some with longer locks, donate their hair for wigs.

It is a fun yet emotional event that draws a pretty big crowd and raises quite a bit of money. Some of the kids become pretty shaken up, either by sharing cancer stories they have suffered through, or by the fact that their long-haired identities are being erased. I am participating again this year. Last year was a bit more dramatic as I had a long beard and shoulder length hair, but I have gotten pretty hairy in the last few weeks, so this should be a decent show as well. I have raised about $100 of student donations (hey teachers, you can give me a few bucks tomorrow if you feels inclined) and the kids seem to get a kick out of seeing a teacher up there.

Here is my statement:

Cancer is a scary disease that affects so many people regardless of age, race or social class. Although I have been lucky not to know any one battling this disease so far in my life, I am not too naive to think that I never will. I want to show my support for survivors and for people who may have lost loved ones. I know we have students who have dealt with the pain of cancer in their families and I want to be there for them.

In related hair news, I’m not gonna lie, I am pretty excited to go clean and bald. This beard and hair have been pretty heavy, and I feel I have some symbolic weight wrapped up in there. I need a spring cleaning of sorts, and I think I will lose a few pounds of real and metaphorical weight with this shaving. My mood these days is light and whimsical; I am looking forward to a clean exterior look to match the levity inside.



I finished Season of the Witch tonight and all I can say is wow. I would recommend it to anyone who loves cities, people, revolution, weirdos, politics, history, hippies and San Francisco. You don’t have to be from “The City” to appreciate it, but if you are from the Bay Area you almost have to read this one. Well-written and captivating, Talbot takes you on a ride through the madness of the city by the bay from the 60’s to the 80’s.

Trust me on this one- you need to read it yourself. He even makes me respect, dare I say, like the 49ers. And for those of you who have known me for years, you know what a statement that it is.

...

Earlier today I was snooping around the interwebz and I was looking into signing up for a Sprint Triathlon. Crazy? Stupid? Brave? Too soon? I don’t know but the numbers seem manageable. 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run. I have never even considered something like this before, so I am still mulling it over, but why the hell not try it.

I am also starting the book Eat & Run recommended by Ari​ about a vegan marathoner. Maybe that will inspire me.

...

License to Ill turned thirty today and that means nothing to the kids I teach. I am not sure how I feel about this, but I am happy that when I was twelve I was listening to MCA, Ad Rock and Mike D instead of Drake and Maroon 5.



A lot of short snippets tonight. Friday looms and a nice relaxing weekend is the forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment