February 6, 2016

Two Minutes Passed Midnight

It’s two minutes passed midnight and I am in the Bangkok airport, feeling obligated to keep this writing thing going at all costs. I’m sitting here waiting to board our Kenyan Airways flight to Nairobi with a group of kids who range from third to twelfth grade and are from seven different countries. It is passed their bed times and they are passed out in different degrees around me, as the fluorescent light keeps me wired and a bit crazy.

I will wake in the morning after a long flight on the ground in Kenya. Back for my fourth trip. The sounds, the smells, the sights of Africa are only a plane ride away. But most importantly the pace will crawl up to me and force me to slow down to the speed of a well-spent day.

My brain is tired from a long day, week, month, year, life. But it is moments like this that help me realise how all the choices I have made up to this point allow me to take trips like this.

Years ago, Jason and I talked of hopes and dreams and schools in Africa. Not everything turned out the way we planned, but life rarely follows our intentions. Yet, somehow, here we are at forty-two years old- tomorrow night I look forward to sitting up on his porch after all the kids have fallen asleep, and we will hatch future plans and dream up new schemes.

I can’t wait to see what it all looks like at sixty-two.

That’s all I have tonight. Hopefully, tomorrow’s post will have more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment