May 12, 2016

Secret Chart

So what do you do the night after you write an exhaustive list of your daily routines? You break them of course.


This morning at work was much of the same. The morning was a super-hero day that slowly withered into more of a crawl by day's end. My day tomorrow is too insane to even document right now, and I will be off to Tioman island with the grade six kids on a camp all next week, so I was scurry around making sure my cover work is done and ….well you get the point it was a busy day at work.


But after school, we shook things up a bit. I had a quick run home and then we decided to take the girls for a mid-week swim. It felt great to be outside and together on a Thursday. It is a bit sad that such a simple act feels so novel, but it reminded me how easy it is to break a routine and simply do the things in life that matter. The things that make you happy. We don’t have to run ourselves to the ground with burn-out and exhaustion. Sometimes we just stop what we are doing and go play with our kids in the pool on a school night.


We ordered some Pizza and then Mairin and I went to see the latest Michael Moore movie at The Projector. It was a slow mellow night. We enjoyed a glass of wine and a beer and watched a thought provoking film. I love midweek movies. And this one tonight did the trick.


Now here I am tired and ready for tomorrow. I don’t know that I have the energy to say much more, but I was left pondering this Leonard Cohen lyric as we drove to the theatre:


Please understand, I never had a secret chart
to get me to the heart of this
or any other matter
When he talks like this
you don't know what he's after
When he speaks like this,
you don't know what he's after.

No comments:

Post a Comment