June 21, 2016

A Nice Day

Even though it was not officially summer break, and I had to work, it was a good birthday. I had a nice day with my students. They brought me a cake and sang happy birthday. Friends took me out to play darts and unwind on the penultimate day of school. Thanks Mike, Lee, Scott, Scott, Shawn, Luke.


I received so many great birthday wishes from you all, which made me feel loved and appreciated. I also received two great emails from a student and a parent:


Dear Mr. Raisdana,


As tomorrow, without a doubt will probably be one of the most crazy and emotional days of my life, I want to take this time to thank you for everything you have done for me this year.


As a teacher, something I admire about you is the passion that you approach your job with. As your student, I can fully see that you love your job, and give every day your 110%, something that I try and do as well. From the eyes of an 8th grader, passion is one of the most important teaching tools, sometimes more than any amount of knowledge for a topic.


This passion translates into being such a great teacher in the classroom. You connect with all of us, and this makes us feel very engaged and inspired by you, to change the world through writing and reading.


Thank you for always not being afraid to hand us the reigns, as students, for something that you care so much about. In Off Tangent, I was delighted to take a lead, and this is where I learned so much. Very few teachers trust their students to the extent you do, and, I know this is where the real learning happens.


Thank you for pushing me as a student, giving me tools and allowing me to build the house, you showing me the way the whole time. It has been a great experience, one which I will treasure and learn from as I continue in my life.


So, thank you for everything Mr. Raisdana, and a great year. Have a great summer, and let's be sure to keep in touch!

This is why I do what I do. And now the parent email:


Hi Jabiz,


Happy Birthday! I hope you are having a great day so far.


I would like to say a Big Thank You for a fantastic Grade 8! What a way to end Middle School, it couldn't have been better for xxxxxxxx!
xxxxxxxx has grown so much under your mentorship. It has been a great year for him; a big deal of learning, big growth in maturity and thinking, fun experiences and of course a great connection with you thru music. xxxxxxxx has been very fortunate to have a mentor like you who is extremely passionate about so many things(what touched xxxxxxxx and I was the night you took time to come and watch his gig at the Chinatown pub after a long, tiring day at school). You have been very influential and inspirational to xxxxxxxx in his last year in Middle School.
\xxxxxxxx is looking forward to his journey in High School. He definitely takes with him memories of Grade 8 that will be cherished. We as parents are very happy to be part of the UWCSEA community.

The connection doesn't end here, for I'm sure we will keep reading your daily writing blogspot as well as look out for copy of your book as soon as it is out😊.


Heartfelt thanks again!


Happy Holidays and best wishes!

….

That’s a pretty good day. I love you all very much. Thank you for being here and listening and reading and sharing and liking and keeping me relevant. Forty Two years old and still trucking.

No comments:

Post a Comment