June 9, 2016

Duality In Your Mind

Alright! Let’s write this thing. I have been stalling for a while because I don’t know where to start and I am uncertain of my energy reserves. The cup runneth over with ideas, but the eyes are blurry, the tendons are sore and tomorrow is Friday in early June and many of you know exactly what that means.


Reports are done. Grades are in.


Well very close- some proofreading and a few outlier grades to adjust, but the hard push is done and the weight has been lifted. To my colleagues still in the trenches, stay strong. You will survive.


I think this post will be a series of random thoughts and questions:


Prophets of Rage- A “super group” made up by the members of Rage Against The Machine, Chuck D and Be Real from Cypress Hill. Prophets Of Rage combines the sonic firepower of Rage Against The Machine, Public Enemy and Cypress Hill. Their tag line,


“We can no longer stand on the sidelines of history. Dangerous times demand dangerous songs.It's time to take the power back.”


Super rad idea? These guys plan a tour that will donate money to homeless shelters and they plan to subvert the RNC convention in Cleveland. Or are they just a bunch of old dudes going through the motion?


Where is the music of the younger generation that is fighting back against…..anything these days? Do I sound like an old fogey? When I was young we had music that seemed to be saying something about some things. Where did that go?


Gonna put Brock and Hillary on hold for a few days and let the thoughts digest. Jordan mentioned today that, “[She] holds much duality in [her] mind and heart right now; no, a multiplicity of feelings and beliefs and desires and attitudes, and [she] appreciates those people who can and have held more than one idea to be true and possible, joyful and painful, at the same time.”


To which I responded, “I think holding duality in your mind and heart can feel so heavy and difficult and confusing, but it is so important to your personal and our societal growth. It is in these moments of reflection and thought that we build empathy and love and understanding.”


So I am in the midst of juggling opposing views that I find truthful. It is a difficult process, no doubt, but one I hope my life has prepared me for. There are no easy answers to complex problems and broken systems, so it would do us all some good to stop and simply think sometimes. That is where I am right now.


Mairin was researching one of the neighborhoods where will be staying for a week this summer in Bend, Oregon. So prepare yourselves for photos of micro-brews and vegan Mexican food. Tempeh and tofu tacos? Yes please. Apparently we are located near a river, micro-breweries and several fine cheap eateries, with nothing to do but eat, drink and play in the river. My anticipation for our time in America is nearly impossible to hold in.


I think that’s it. I got a book to finish and a weekend to get ready for. Here’s hoping that my wrist is better by tomorrow for the end of the year frisbee golf tournament. Before that the grade 8 Art’s festival and two grade 7 English classes. Fridays have not been my friend this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment