July 29, 2008

I've Been Thinking


I’ve been thinking about writing poetry lately, but the verse remains locked behind a wall of expectancy. No action. I’ve been thinking about de-industrializing as much of myself as I can. Eating more fruit, more vegetables, less processed foods, less petroleum. I’ve been thinking about the need for a more participatory ecology in my life, my relationship to soil, the sky, and my pets. I’ve been thinking about recreating myself even while self-exiled for another year in the desert: perhaps a compost pile, a chicken coup, may be just a few houseplants I can sing to and nurture. I’ve been thinking about the decisive nature of politics and the need for tenderness and self-love. I’ve been thinking about taking better care of body-stretching the muscles and feeding them with real food instead of Pizza Hut. I’ve been thinking about building a community, sharing ideas instead of gripes about work and gossip, sharing responsibilities, food, and art. I’ve been thinking about painting more and gluing dreams on canvases- exposing people to the nature of our manufactured existence and the alternatives. I’ve been thinking about becoming a bridge back to earth. I’ve been thinking about our collective sickness and my personal symptoms: profit over life, relentless ambition and growth replace virtue and simple sustainable existence. I’ve been thinking about the point of no return and the apocalypse- a broken world void of life, my daughter asking me what went wrong. I’ve been thinking about utopias and advertising. Lies, market research, and the ranking of world: 1st, 2nd, 3rd. I’ve been thinking about the peace of words splattered across a collective consciousness- backtracking to a simpler time. I’ve been thinking about history pre-industrial revolution, long journeys across worlds. I’ve been thinking about capital and debt and yields and death. I’ve been thinking about bees and ants and humus and bacteria and fungi and decomposition. I’ve been thinking about soft harmonies dancing with memories on long warm evenings and the inner song I’m finally learning to sing. I’ve been thinking about giving up and carrying on. I’ve been thinking about disappearing and making my stand. I’ve been thinking about you, reader, and whether you care enough about us to lend a hand.

Please leave a comment and let’s start some conversations. The world is slipping away, find your strength and let’s get to work.

5 comments:

  1. ah bz- i don't have the time today to leave a worthy comment- inlaws are here- but i will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:08 AM

    There are a lot of us thinking similar things. You aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic..after a long time i am reading your blog and find closer to me...you are a critical thinker

    ReplyDelete
  4. its always good to read ur blog...keep writing and inspire others

    ReplyDelete