January 11, 2011

Collective Strike

I have never been a huge fan of Gamelan music. According to Wikipedia:
A gamelan is a musical ensemble from Indonesia, typically from the islands of Bali or Java, featuring a variety of instruments such as metallophones, xylophones, drums and gongs; bamboo flutes, bowed and plucked strings. Vocalists may also be included.
The term refers more to the set of instruments than to the players of those instruments. A gamelan is a set of instruments as a distinct entity, built and tuned to stay together — instruments from different gamelan are generally not interchangeable.
The word gamelan comes from the Javanese word gamels, meaning "to strike or hammer", and the suffix an, which makes the root a collective noun.
I have also never thought of the disorderly clanging and chaotic banging as rhythmic, but when today's prompt came up, I knew where I would find my image. I work at a school in Indonesia, so we actually have a Gamelan in our music room. I was pleasantly surprised to stroll into the room alone after school and find these beautiful metal instruments just begging to be banged.

I love the light and the muted gold tones it created. Who knows maybe after spending some time with these instruments, I will listen more carefully next time I am in Bali.


Create a photograph today that illustrates or shows rhythm.

What do you think? Have you heard a Gamelan before? Did you like it? Is it rhythmic?

No comments:

Post a Comment