January 12, 2011

State of Matter

I thought about this one a lot. First thought was something to do with olive oil, but ours was too light to do my idea justice. The next obvious idea was water in its various modes of movement- flowing, dropping, rippling etc...The thing is, it is hard to take a proper image of something that naturally moves. Water, even at its most still, is a thing in motion.

Despite knowing that photographing water is difficult,  I walked around our campus after school looking for it;  I should have been looking for liquids. Then I saw it. Beautiful, dense, thick buckets of mud. A blend of earth and water and gas and everything mushed together. I have always loved mud, so with great pleasure I snapped a round of shots. I am glad I didn't go with a more traditional glistening form of liquid, and I tried something a bit different.

Make a photograph today that features or uses a liquid as a subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment