January 6, 2011

The Pile

I have a stack of books near my bed, which I affectionately call "The Pile." Random titles get added, while others are forgotten when a new book comes out. I am not sure how books get mired in "The Pile," but it is my goal to get rid of it all together.

Getting access to new books is proving more difficult than I had expected in Jakarta, so I had to make a dent in the pile. I was not excited about the prospect of reading Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, but I saw it as a way to knock a book off "The Pile."

 I will keep this short and sweet. The book was dull, boring, and often times meaningless. Parts were unreadable, but like any dedicated reader, I powered through and found a few gems about writing. I was going to type them out, but really they were nothing you can't find on a page of Vonnegut quotes.

I am glad I read the book, because it gave me a few ideas on how to structure a memoir and it made me want to read Cat's Cradle which will be my next read. I need to have Vonnegut redeem himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment