January 10, 2016

Blank Days

It’s a quiet Sunday night: Bit of work. (Finally finished all the marking from X-Mas. Six classes worth of stuff) Kaia set up a spa and painted my nails gold. Bike ride. Lunch. Pool. Some TV. Dinner. Bed, for the kids at least, but honestly I am not far behind.

...

In the kitchen making a sandwich with Kaia. Bob Dylan playing on our new speaker:

“I have been listening to this guy since I was your age. My dad loved his music, so it was always playing at our house. He tells really good stories. I used sit with his records and learn about history and poetry. I would love to share some of his words with you. Take a listen.”

There’s a restless hungry feeling that don’t mean no one no good…..

“Yeah, it’s okay.”

...

I remember the ocean from earlier today- littered with tankers and shipping vessels, the teal coloured water shimmering beneath the fast moving clouds. A cool breeze. The sand between our toes. Throwing that coconut into sea.

Maybe the blank days are okay. Better even.
Maybe it is nice not to be weighted down by too much thinking and empathy and indignation and hopelessness and passion.

Sure you watched that video about how people in Syria and Iraq are on the brink of freezing to death, but then the video of Kevin Hart, Ice Cube and Conan giving a driving lesson made you quickly forget.

...

This was a very social weekend and the introvert in me needed today to wallow in the silence and solitude, behind the wall of this screen and the ambiguity of these words. Leave you likes at the door and I will try and reply to a comment.

Lessons Learned:

  • Expose your kids to all the things you love. 
  • I love riding bikes with family. 
  • Sometimes you just got to go with the flow and not expect much from yourself. 


  1. What are some things that you will make sure your kids learn to love? 
  2. What’s your favorite thing to don Sundays? 

No comments:

Post a Comment