February 16, 2016

Huff and a Puff

Facebook gets a bum rap. Many people, myself included, complain about what a cesspool it can be, or what a time suck it is, but I have been having a fairly positive and healthy relationship with Facebook lately.

In case you haven’t noticed I like to share stuff: Ideas, thoughts, feelings, opinions, photos, news, reflections- anything really, and more importantly I like feedback, validation, and conversation. I also like to see you what you all are up to. I like seeing pics of your kids, your food, and yes, even your cats. I want to see photos of your latest mountain bike ride on Mr. Tam, or your thoughts on Bernie versus Hillary. I want to know what you thought about the Kendrick Lamar Grammy clip and also I want to read about your good news.

Sharing good news on Facebook feels pretty great. People from around the world want to jump in and make your day brighter by offering a congratulations or positive encouragement. So thanks for all the hi-fives and pats on the back. It always feels good to be valued and appreciated, and today, for me at least, Facebook allowed me to feel those things.



I was asked to perform at a grade twelve assembly this morning by Georgina​’s mentor class. It was a bit of a disaster. I was stressed because I had to get some standardized testing ready in my mentor room and we were running late in the morning. So in a huff and puff, I ran to the Black Box theatre to sing Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds- it felt appropriate for a group of kids heading off to university in a few months.

Problem was I kept missing a key chord change, so I hit the wrong note on every line. I had to start over a few times and felt like an idiot. I might have muttered an F-Bomb to which the kids clapped and laughed. They were generally supportive and I finally made my way through the simple three verses, but I was a neurotic sweaty mess by the end. I even changed one verse from:

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

to

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to UWC,
And the children go on service trips
And then to the university
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

It was a last minute rash decision, but again they seemed to appreciate it. I am nothing if not an entertainer. Just having a little fun. Later Georgina told me that the kids told her that they appreciated the authenticity and honesty of me even being up there. That they are tired of the formal conversations and people who are always doing things perfectly. That I reminded them to have fun.

So anytime you need someone to not to do something perfectly or even well, I am your man.

In the spirit of full disclosure and transparency here is the questionable performance:




I was having lunch with Rebecca​ today and she says to me with the straightest face, after she congratulated me on my new job, “I am not being difficult, but why do you want to do this job?” I think I muttered something about change and freshness and learning, whatever I said I am sure it was barely coherent. Here are some more carefully crafted thoughts.

I have always been interested in the idea of leadership. I am not too keen on administration, but I want to learn how to effectively inspire and motivate teachers to be their best selves. A few years ago I was doing work as a DLC, and while working with adults was different than working with kids, there were elements that I really enjoyed. I want to hone those skills.

I also love the idea of being a kind of glue that binds the teachers, students, parents and the admin. I like leading meetings and talking to large groups of people. I love the idea of getting to know all the kids and working with the ELT to make policy and find ways to authentically implement it.

Sound crazy? I know. I swore I never had any aspirations for admin, that the world of an educator is in the classroom and the classroom only, maybe I want to try this job to prove myself wrong. I want to learn how to improve learning by working with all the stakeholders. I just want to see what it feels like and see if I am good at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment