February 22, 2016

Splintered

I had a lot to say this morning. Lots of thoughts running through my mind, hoping to be articulated, I shaped them as I walked across Tent Plaza toward lunch. A few more thoughts demanded attention on my run. I was gonna write about old friends and about the insecurities of men, but now it is almost midnight and I have forgotten the shape of what I was going to say.

I drank a bottle Champagne with Mairin​ and I am listening to Leather and Lace by Stevie Nicks and Don Henley at the moment.

Now I am in to Ball and Chain by Big Brother and Holding Company with Janis Joplin and oh man oh man that guitar. Are you kidding me?

What can I write now that matters more than these blues? More important than this live set from the Carousel Ballroom from 1968?

The Stevie Nicks was from the season premiere of Togetherness. They sang it as karaoke song in New Orleans and I tracked it down to Spotify. We watched Girls and Togetherness and Walking Dead and we rested and laughed and drank champagne. I was thankful that this is what we do alone and together.

The Joplin is inspired by The Season of Witch the book I am reading.

The great ideas I cultivated all day were erased by the ease of the champagne and the mindless yet necessary TV viewing with Mairin. And now this Holding Brothers’ guitar is not helping the writing process. How did this explosive sounds escape my ears for so many years?


Gonna call it a night now. The words are just too jammed up and they don’t seem to matter. There is no direction or focus or purpose. The ideas are blended together and broken into snippets. I cranked out 750 words earlier for the book and that was all I had in me I guess.

Maybe the brain needs a rest. Maybe the thoughts need to sleep. Maybe the words need to drift away and not be pinned down for you to examine or for me to curate.

Find your own words and share them with me.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment