March 23, 2016

Basking In Its Light

About an hour ago I was sitting outside at a local restaurant eating vegetarian Sushi and veggie Udon whist drinking a Gin Martini. I was enjoying the breeze and the calm fluid conversation that comes from hanging out with a group of female friends. Never in my life have I had a group of women friends that I just hang out with. I am not sure this is a common thing for men, but it should be.

AlI know is that hanging out with Jenn, Shruti, Paula and Georgina is like a secret look behind the curtain for me, and I love it. It’s just interesting to watch women hang-out without men around. Yes, of course I am around- and I am sure there is still a level of reservation because of my presence, but for the most part we just hang out and it is one of the times in y life that I feel the most comfortable in my skin. This friendship group started in Kenya two years ago and we still try to meet for a meal or a drink every few months.

Tonight we watched the IB play together and had a quick bite and drink before I crawled home on the bus exhausted after a long day of teaching and student led conferences after school.

The light at the end of the tunnel is here and in a few short hours I will be basking in its light. This holiday is well earned and necessary.



Not sure if I made the official announcement- I know I said I was going to be head of grade, but now I know which grade: Next year I will be the head of grade six.

This is a big change for me, as my comfort zone is with grade eights, but I am looking forward to the challenges and the new learning, as I get ready to work with kids at this stage of their development. Lot’s to learn for sure, but exciting times ahead.



There’s not much else left in the tank tonight, so good night.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as may experience is concerned, the conversation, the behaviour of women and the whole situation is quite different even if only one male is present. Maybe vica versa it would be the same, too, that is with one woman among men. Which is kind of sad, coming to think about it.

    ReplyDelete