March 21, 2016

The World Is Too Much With Us;

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—


I didn’t run today. Although I woke up excited about the last few days before break, I was quickly suffering from the Monday blahs. My classes went well, I felt okay while in my classroom, but by day’s end I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by a nameless malaise. For some reason, whenever I feel this way, I am reminded of the first line from that William Wordsworth poem. I am not sure where I first heard it, but it always surfaces in the times I become unmotivated or nonplussed.

After school, I decided to lay down for a few minutes and rest my eyes before I went for my run, but I soon realised that it would be best if set an alarm and had a twenty minute power nap. I woke up not feeling much better. I was lethargic and snappy with the kids all night, and unmotivated to do anything productive or commit-Ito any level of interesting thinking.

I am in the process of creating a video for my Learning 2.0 Re-Imagine Strand, and while it is fresh on my mind, I am waiting for inspiration that is not quickly forthcoming. Fear not Brandon and Kim it will be ready by week’s end, but I'm still waiting for a jolt of something to get the ball rolling. My current mood is not helping. That latest Will Richardson article that is making the rounds has been a key part of my thinking.

In other news, Kaia made dinner nearly all by herself tonight- pasta with red sauce, quesadillas and some side raw veggies. I just made sure she didn’t hurt herself and washed up the dishes to help out. It was a proud moment. 

Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;

The ocean is calling me. I need the beach and the sun and the sand and the snorkeling and the long slow afternoons by the pool. I need Pad Thai and Chang beer, the smell of sunscreen and tanning oil. I need to be barefoot and shirtless and bronzed and salty. I need to be on a boat staring down ten meters through the azure sea. I was born for island life and island life is waiting for me.

It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.


Today was the 81st day of the year, so that must mean I have written eighty-one of these extend blog post/status update things. Wow. The year is young though and time is long. Here is hoping that today was just a case of the Monday blues right after a tense term and before a much needed break.

A few teachers and I are doing a Lip Sync performance for the last day of school, so I need to do some work on that. Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment