April 22, 2016

Gangly and Awkward

There are very few things in the world that are as remarkable and awe-inspiring as the human adolescent child. The middle school aged human- aged eleven to fourteen can do and be just about anything if you show them some love, respect and trust. Ironically they are viewed as a race of hormone deranged mongoloids by those who don’t understand them, but take the time to listen to them and talk to them and you will see that they are filled with passion and humor and an intensity that is truly inspirational. Sure they are gangly and awkward. They might be slightly manic and neurotic and riddled with self-doubt and angst, but they are just begging for responsibility, independence and a chance to show what they can do it. Whatever it is that is put in front of them. I feel so honored to have the privilege of being let into their world.


We launched our lit mag tonight and I was on the verge of tears for most of the night. The details will have to wait as I can’t see straight from fatigue, but I do want to say that it was one of the best events I have been a part of in my career. Student run. Casual. Well run. Artistic. Organic. Honest. Fun.


Paula and I never once went on stage or said anything. The kids did all of it and we nearly sold out our magazine. We will most likely break even on production costs and the kids were jazzed about reading, writing, words, music, art, expression and a community of writers. There is so much I need to say about the night and the entire process, but I will just say that it was a beautiful thing and I am so proud to be a part of it. I love this work beyond words and cannot imagine doing anything else. It is easy to complain in the day-to-day of work, but it is moments like tonight that make the work we do worthwhile. I will stop gushing, unit I formalize this experience in a proper blog post.



Prince. Fuck.





I have my stories. My memories. I will write them soon. Not tonight but this weekend for sure. In short, Prince allowed me to be a man on my own terms. He taught me that masculinity can be draped in purple sequence and ass-less chaps. More to come I hope, but right now I am enjoying these words, the empty white screen, a glass of wine and the guitar solo at the end of Purple Rain. This man defines soul.




Looking forward to taking a step back and spending the weekend with Mairin and the kids. It feels like a while since we could just relax and spend time as a family. We’ve got ice-slain birthday parties and maybe sometime by the pool. This is a well deserved weekend. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment