June 12, 2016

Skating Into Summer

We had an early Sunday morning skating lesson for Kaia today. We were both at the park by 8:30 while Mairin and Skye went grocery shopping. The sun was not yet too hot and the place was nearly empty. My wrist is still not feeling so good, but I had brought my stuff, just in case the conditions were good and this morning they were perfect.


I strapped on the pads, swore to take it easy and tested out my new bushings. My trucks are still a bit loose, so I feel a bit wobbly going down the longer ramps, but I couldn’t seem to get them right today, so I was extra careful.


I was able to skate in a part of the park that is usually too crowded to skate and it was awesome. Nice and slow, down some tame slopes and up others that were a bit more steep. I was able to start at one end of the park and hit three or four slopes as I weaved my way through the park. Nothing too steep or too fast, just gentle cruising. Knees bent. Leaning forward and careful not to lose focus and crash. Just made me realize how much I love learning new things. I want to try and plan one night a week next year to go to the park around 9pm and skate under the lights. Feeling blessed that we have this park minutes from my house.


Despite the early start, the sun in Singapore gets hot fast and by nine it was a scorcher; I was a sweaty mess. It was a this point that a kid who was about ten years old, with a shaved head, a puff of bleached blond hair, on a scooter comes up to me and asks, “Are you Mr. Raisdana?” To which I answered in the affirmative. “Cool. I am a fifth grader at UWCSEA and I will be in six grade next year.”


He seemed stoked, but was keeping it cool- not showing that he was overtly excited to see his head of grade skating at the park on a Sunday morning, but we both knew something important had just happened. I got his name and I now I know at least one kid coming into grade six who I won’t have to work too hard to gain respect from.


The rest of the day was pretty chill. Mairin was at a ladies brunch, so the girls and I swam a bit, went out for ice cream, played lego, read some books, I sang and played guitar for a while, and we enjoyed a Sunday with little ambition or expectations.


All my grades are done and in the computer. I am thinking of watching the Will Smith Ali movie before bed.





Another shooting. This time in Orlando at a gay bar. It already screams major tragedy and totally horrific. Regardless of who the monster was that carried out this rampage, it is yet another stain on our collective human consciousness. I feel like I need to poke and prod at the scabs to make sure I never become numb to the violence we perpetuate in our society.





I have a post or two brewing that are more developed than these daily updates. I hope to get to them this week. In other news, it has been a long time since I ran. I am milking the need to rest after a race excuse for as long as I can, but I need to get back out there this week.


This will be an interesting week, seeing that it is the last official full week of school before summer. There is still a lot that needs to be done, like moving my classroom for next year, but most of the things from here on out will be about change and I am pretty excited about the possibilities.


The couch, dark chocolate with sea salt, and a Sunday night movie are calling. Be kind to each other people, it’s a cruel world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment