January 5, 2011

Feels Like a Sunset.

Today's image was difficult for me again, because it made me question what it is exactly that makes a photograph interesting. A few people on Twitter said things like, "framing, color, details one doesn't ordinarily notice but the photo forces one to notice."While I agree with all of those things, it proved difficult to create an interesting photograph when put on the spot.

I took several shots around the house: a sponge, razors, the stove, glasses, and these spoons. I played with color, cropping, etc... and finally settled on this shot because my daughter said it was the one of the top three she liked best. When I asked why, she said, "because it is silver and I like silver. " Fair enough.

There is something about the silver, golden, copper tones that I do like. Feels like a sunset. Reminds me of some evenings in NYC. Weird that you can create that on a rainy day in Jakarta in your utensils drawer. Not thirlled with it, but I have 360 more chances to get it right.

Make an interesting photograph of something mundane and ordinary today.
So what makes a photograph interesting for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment