August 17, 2016

Celebrate

I don’t want to overstate how good this wine tastes or how good this loud music sounds. The combination at 9:51 on a Wednesday night during the first week of school is extremely satisfying.

I am listening to the Neon Lights playlist on Spotify and the band Foals is pretty damn good. Neon Lights is a two day music festival here in Singapore and Foals along with Sigur Ros is a headlining band. Lee and I went last year and loved the festival and will be going again this year for sure. I recommend you join us.


This is sounding like a trend, but today was another fast paced day. Lot’s of thinking, meeting, writing, teaching, discussing, negotiating, problem solving and running up and down the stairs. It’s days like this that make me feel grateful that I have job that puts me in contact with so many dedicated and amazing people. From the little grade 6 girl telling me about how she uses writing to push her thinking about books, to the team members who will passionately discuss assessment and conceptual learning for hours. There is no one I deal with on a daily basis who is phoning it in.

It can be exhausting to work in such a place, but I wouldn’t trade it in for anything. We run. We work hard. But at the end of the day, the quiet and the wine and the music wash it all away. The to-do lists are cleared. The plans are set. The issues resolved. The eBriefs written. The emails answered. And on some nights they must be left for the next day. And this is okay too.

I am thinking back to a night walking around lake WhatCom with Ari. The sun was low and peach and the lake was filled with wind and energy. We spoke about a lot of things, but celebration was the topic we landed on.

We shared the idea of living a life of celebration. Not in the cliche way with balloons and parties, but looking at celebrating as a reflection of awareness and gratitude. Celebration is the promise you make to yourself to be awake and grateful. We talked about living lives of perpetual celebration. Even the grief and ache and tiredness we encounter deserves it’s own quiet celebration. Even in death, a life deserves celebration.

So cheers everyone. The summer is over and the work has begun, but remember this is the work of the heart. It is the work we have chosen and we are lucky to do it. Celebrate it however you can.

"I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. "

Uncle Walt

No comments:

Post a Comment